50 Easy tips to live a more sustainable lifestyle.
1. Use a bicycle as your main form of transportation. Buy it second-hand from a trusted shop.
2. If your work is not reachable by bicycle, use public transport. Make it a habit to use it at least a couple of days per week. It’s also a great opportunity to catch up on reading and podcasts.
3. Use stairs over the elevator. This also doubles up as a booty workout.
4. Bring your coffee-to-go reusable cup.
5. Opt to receive digital letters and notices.
6. Put up a no junk mail sign on your letterbox to limit the amount of paper waste.
7. Send cards made from growing paper.
8. Turn off your computer and other electronic devices before going to sleep.
9. Spend more time outside. Try to go for a walk at least 20 minutes per day. Regardless of the weather.
10. Eat more plant-based whole foods. Eat completely vegan once or twice per week.
11. Read your favorite newspaper publications online instead of reading the paper versions.
12. Cook more at home. Regularly prepare home-cooked meals and save on takeaway storage containers.
13. Refuse disposable cutlery and napkins. Get your own set of reusable bamboo cutlery.
14. Carry around your handkerchief instead of using disposable tissues.
15. Use cloth diapers and wipes for your baby.
16. Use stainless steel drink bottles or glass bottles.
17. Buy second-hand clothes for your baby made from cotton. Refuse polyester as much as possible.
18. Use only wooden toys and toys made from natural materials.
19. Get the furniture for the nursery room second-hand.
20. Make your own baby food in batches, portion it and freeze it.
21. Use washable straws instead of disposable plastic straws.
22. Use cloths instead of paper towels.
23. Make your own coffee instead of buying takeaway.
24. Use make-up brands that don’t test on animals.
25. Use only natural and organic skin-care brands.
26. Start replacing your bathroom products for zero-waste products.
27. Use a bamboo toothbrush.
28. Make your scrub.
29. Use LED lighting instead of incandescent lighting as it’s proven to last longer, which reduces the need to keep purchasing light bulbs.
30. Instead of turning on the heating, put on an extra layer of clothing.
31. Open up your curtains and use as much natural light as possible before switching on the lights.
32. Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
33. Hang your wet clothes on a drying line or rack instead of using a powered dryer.
34. Wash your clothes on the laundry machine only when you have a full batch.
35. Get a water-saving showerhead and time your showers to 5 min.
36. Grow your own herbs, fruit, and vegetables and use organic fertilizers.
37. Refuse plastic bags. Take your own bags for groceries.
38. Buy fruits and vegetables without plastic packaging.
39. Avoid buying plastic-wrapped dry products, opt for products packed in carton boxes.
40. Refuse plastic bottle water.
41. Look for outfit inspirations on Pinterest with items of clothes that you already have.
42. When you need new clothes, go to second-hand shops first.
43. Refuse fast-fashion brands. Unsubscribe from their newsletter, erase the apps.
44. Invest in better quality items that last longer.
45. Support fashion brands that are ethical and environmentally conscious.
46. Save gift bags and boxes for future use.
46. Give people experiences instead of things.
47. Use rechargeable batteries where possible.
48. Recycle your devices when ready to dispose of.
49. Buy refurbished electronic devices
50. Fly by airplane only when it’s necessary. Plan your vacations by train, bike or by car.
The best way to changing your life towards a more sustainable life is dong it little by little. Changing one habit at the time.
Do you have a tip to add? Let me know in the comments below.