This post is for all those (like me) who promised in January to make a closet detox. It´s now the 4th of March and finally, I got to do it!
At least twice per year, I like to go through my closet and sell, donate or give away the clothes that I don´t use anymore. I love to do this because it gives me space. Space in my closet, in my house and in my head.
If you are like me and didn´t get the time to do it at the beginning of the year, don´t feel bad and start with it today. It´s never too late!
Here are five tips for you to start decluttering your closet:
1. Take at least two to three hours to do this. Start by taking every single piece out of your closet.
2. Sort out your clothes by making two piles. One pile “To keep” and the other “To sell/donate”.
3. Go through the “to keep” pile of clothes and take piece by piece and ask yourself this questions and answer with Yes = Keep – No = Sell/donate
– Does it still fit?
Body shape changes. Don’t keep clothes for when you are going to be thin again. When you get back to your “perfect” size you’re going to want new stuff anyway. Say GOODBYE to your clothes that don’t fit anymore.
– Does it make me feel good?
If you have a piece of clothing that you wear but don’t like how you look, GIVE IT AWAY NOW.
– Have I worn it last year?
If you haven’t worn something in a year, you probably never will! (It’s proven) OUT IT GOES.
– Would I wear it again?
Be honest with yourself. Don’t hang onto something that you don’t love how it makes you feel because you don’t have something better yet to replace it. LET IT GO NOW.
4. Hang the clothes you want to keep with the backwards hanger method. Face all of your hangers away from you and replace each one the “right way” after wearing the item hanging on it. Check back after 3 to 6 months see which hangers are still facing the wrong direction. This way you will get a clear image of the clothes you don’t wear and maybe it’s time to get rid of those things that all they do is making space in your closet.
5. Check your “to sell/donate” clothes pile and decide which items can be sold and what can be donated. Bring all the clothes that you want to donate to the closest charity shop. And those you want to sell: There are a lot of options for you…
For selling your clothes this apps are great (in The Netherlands):
-The Next Closet
I hope this tips help you to declutter your space. For me, it means less stress thinking of what to wear in the morning and more space in my house. This might sound silly but having less stuff makes me feel free. Try it out and let me know how it feels for you on the comments below.